Ruby On Rails ActiveRecord Transaction Hints
Don’t use Golang
Golang is a trend now but there is a lot of projects where you have to avoid of using it.
Let’s start from what kind of benefits brings Golang for your team/project:
– Easy to learn and get started with. This helps to grow your team quickly and involve new people even without any experience with Golang.
– Built-in concurrency and a robust standard library. Which allows to utilise your CPU in the most effective way and easily create multithreading applications (channels, mutex, atomic etc.).
– Strict types helps to avoid some basic coding issues. So these options shows us that Golang is a good tool for high performance projects and big growing teams.
But otherwise when your team is small and you don’t need to solve high performance tasks. That means that you will have some troubles like a very big codebase.
– Lack of generics in Golang will make you to write / support more code.
– Writing of multithreading programms even in Golang requires to have senior engineers. So that means you will have to spend more money on your team without any incomes from using Golang.
– It will take more time to release because you will need to write/support a bigger codebase.
When you don’t need to use Golang in your team/project?
– Your project is not simple (it is not quite small like some CLI utilities or small service) and it should be build as a monolithic application with a small team
– Your budget is not big and you don’t have too much time for release
– Your project is new and you have to release it ASAP to make money
– You don’t have any high performance problems which can not be solved on your current technical stack
TOP 5 of the most stupid questions about Golang for Interviews of Senior Engineers
- Slices vs Arrays – – I think some newbies in interviews think that it will show how deep the candidate understands internals of Golang type system. WAT? – Pls, don’t ask such questions just ask about cases.
- What is the String type in Golang? Is it mutable ? – no comments, I don’t even know what is the purpose of this question. LOL
- Why Golang needs Slices? – same as #2
- What programming language will you choose for development?
- Golang vs Node JS and why you prefer Golang instead of JS ?
Note №0 “Defeat your own fears on work”
Sometimes we have a task that causes a feeling of fear. This fear appears because the task has something new, something in what I am not experienced yet.
My list about how to solve this and defeat such fears:
- Relax and think why you have a fear
- Ask your supervisor/teammate for advice/support
- Find some examples of solutions for a similar task
- Prepare first version of solution and discuss it with somemone (superviser, client, teammate)
- Update your solution according to feedback from them and go back for review with your supervisor/teammate
Steps 4-5 are repeatable unless you have a proper solution.
All of us made something in the first time and the fear is a normal for everyone.
How to get started with Golang?
- Complete a tour of Golang – https://tour.golang.org/list
- Write some code
- Complete the course (optional) – https://www.udemy.com/course/go-programming-language/
- Write some code
- Start reading books from the list – https://github.com/dariubs/GoBooks
- Continue writing code
- Start reading an open source code from GitHub
Like a tsar-president
Like a tsar-president😎 https://onespace.co/palace/lounge 🎥 Create your own palace 🕌 without 100 billions at https://onespace.co 🌐Опубликовано Ильдаром Усмановым Пятница, 5 февраля 2021 г.
CloneGoPkg – CLI tool to create new package from template in git repository
CloneGoPkg is a simple CLI tool to create your own package from template based on any git repository
go install -i github.com/wajox/clonegopkg
# clonegopkg clone [git_repository_template] [new_pkg] clonegopkg clone firstname.lastname@example.org:wajox/gobase.git github.com/wajox/newproject
GitHub – https://github.com/wajox/clonegopkg
Golang Application Template
Here is my template for Golang Application –
Only one thing that you have to do after git clone – replace all package name entries, from
github.com/ildarusmanov/gobase github.com/wajox/gobase to [your_package_name]
Template has been updated and moved into wajox/gobase repository.